I don’t DO diets. I’m not good at being told I can’t HAVE something!!
So 80:20 works for ME, my body and my headspace.
I eat and drink cleanly 80% of the time and 20% I enjoy not having to think or be disciplined.
I don’t believe in putting restrictions on life. Its complicated enough as it is. Just place boundaries. It means that you have options so you can remain in control. The cravings can be satisfied, the socialising can be less awkward.
The 80:20 way means there are less chances of blowouts and more chance of balance!
So it’s a simple train of thought and is to do with what we put in our mouths.
The food we eat and the liquid we drink. This concept is:
- easy to interpret
- takes away the need or tendancy to be obsessive
- its gives you control
- it gives you flexibility
- UNLIMITED SALADS: rocket | mesculin | baby spinach OR grow your own (if I can, anyone can)
- UNLIMITED VEGES raw, steamed roasted mashed
- UNLIMITED FISH: raw and cooked and smoked
- NUTS AND SEEDS: unprocessed and WHOLE
- FRESH JUICES: FRUIT AND VEGETABLE if buying check the label
- SMOOTHIES: WHOLE FOOD if buying check the label
- FRESH SPICES
- GROUND SPICES
- FRESH HERBS
- GROUND HERBS
- SALTS: HIMALAYAN: ROCK: SEA SALT
- NATURAL OILS: COLD PRESSED OILS….READ LABELS
- RICE CRACKERS, RICE CAKES, CORN THINS
- PITA BREAD, WRAPS, TORTILLAS AND MOUNTAIN BREAD READ LABEL
- GRAINS: Rice, QUINOA, couscous, amaranth etc
- LIGHT STARCHES: pumpkin, corn, carrots
- HOMEMADE dips : Hummus, pesto, tomato sauce,
- WATER = 0.033 X KG OF BODY WEIGHT a day
- HERBAL TEA: all especially green
- LEMON GINGER am :: wedge of lemon and slice of fresh ginger
- BE VEGETARIAN
- BE VEGAN
- BE GLUTEN FREE
- BE DAIRY FREE
- BE SUGAR FREE
THE 20’S…GOOD OLDE FASHION DIRTY
- COCONUT WATER
- BREAD: Wholegrain, Homemade, Gluten free, Sourdough
- HEAVY STARCHES: potatoes, kumara,
- LEAN PROTEINS
- CHEESE Hard and soft: feta, goats, blue, cambert, brie, edam, parmesan, tasty, vintage cheddar
- CURED MEATS of the european variety. I LOVE intense flavours SO YOU EAT LESS and these are usually thinly sliced
- SAUCES HOMEMADE: mayos, aiolis, cheese…..change the core ingredients.
- HONEY: all but CHECK LABELS
- CHOCOLATE: HI cacao ONLY
- SUGAR: natural
The NOT EVEN or once in a blue moon
- WHITE BREAD….not an option,
- WHITE SUGAR….not an option,
- HEAVY PASTA
- CARBONATED DRINKS…not an option
- WHITE TABLE SALT…not an option
- JUICES: store bought, the tetra packaged kind
- FATTY MEATS: bacon, sausages,
- HOUSEHOLD FRYING OILS: from plastic bottles
- CHOCOLATE DAIRY MED-LOW CACAO
- CAKES, BISCUITS, MUFFINS, CRONUTS, BRONUTS etc
- SALTED NUTS CHIPS or OTHER HIGH FAT SALTY SNACKS of all kinds
- BATTER, BREADED, DEEP FRIED PROTEINS of all kinds
The denser the food the harder it will be for your body to digest:
MEAT vs FISH…PASTA vs RICE…CREAMY SAUCE vs TOMATO SAUCE…AILOI vs VINEGARETTE
DIGESTION IS THE KEY… if your body can’t process it, it will just store it….so the more WHOLE a food is, the easier it is for your body to digest.
BIGGEST TIP OF THEM ALL
EAT foods that have INTENSE flavours… spicy, tangy, sharp,
- feta, blue cheese, vintage cheddar….
- balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar….
- high cacao: chocolate >72%, DARK, my favourite….chilli chocolate
- add lemon to as much as you can,
- add ginger to as much as you can,
- meduim curries, go up a heat level and add your own veges…it becomes more cost effective too
- drier wines vs sweeter wines….
- Proscuitto, pancetta, parma ham (they are really thinly sliced so the quantity will be less slice for slice!)
- thinly sliced vogels VS toast slice vogels,
- smoked salmon, hot smoked salmon,
- garlic chilli aioli
- INTENSELY flavoured homemade hummus or store bought, the variety and quality seems to be improving Lisa’s kumara, coconut and tumeric hummus….BOOM. (Or I get store bought ones and then recreate at home! the quantity of ingredients is in order of representation on the label.)
- do as much plantbased eating as possible, eg. almond rice or coconut milk
The more intense the flavour the SLOWER you will EAT because you are savouring the flavour, “the taste sensation”….
YOU WILL EAT LESS with MORE SATISFACTION
PORTION YOUR MEALS:
75% at worst 70% veges and | or salad
25% at worst 30% protein OR starches
think…..FISH THREE TIMES A WEEK + MEAT FREE TWICE A WEEK
80% DO NOT MIX STARCHES AND PROTEINS, the FIT OR LIFE way … 20% mix them
Because we are now in this for the long haul. Your health, fitness and wellbeing regime is going to be as second nature as flossing your teeth, googling your next adventure, going for coffee, meeting for A drink!
I have no time for long term guilt and pity parties, those days are over.
Be accountable for your actions and balance them out.
I might have chips, dip and wine for dinner one night out of seven, so what : The next day I’ll get back on track and eating fish and salad and green tea……80:20
I don’t have things in the house that I know I shouldn’t eat.
Planning is the key here. If you don’t plan, another week or another month goes by and you’ve made NO changes.
THIS IS IN RELATION TO A MIDIs WANTING TO BE IN CONTROL OF THEIR WELLBEING AND WHO DOESN’T WANT TO GO UP A DRESS SIZE EVERY 6 MTHS or every year!!!!